The St Andrew's Sixth Form Bursary Fund is designed to help and support any student who faces financial barriers to participation in education and training.
To be eligible to receive a 16 - 19 Bursary in the 2022/23 academic year, the student must be aged 16 or over and under 19 on 31 August 2022
The scheme is divided into two parts:
Guaranteed Bursary - for young people in the following defined vulnerable groups:
- in care
- care leavers
- young people in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit
- disabled young people in receipt of Employment Support Allowance who are also in receipt of Disability Allowance or Personal Independence payments.
Discretionary Bursary - for students not eligible for the full Guaranteed Bursary dependent upon individual circumstances and who reside in a household whose parents/carers are in receipt of the following:
- Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance - Child Tax Credit
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance - The guaranteed element of the State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
All bursary payments will be directly linked to attendance, behaviour and academic commitment. To continue to receive a bursary a student must satisfy the following conditions:
- The student must not have unauthorised and unexplained absence or lateness to lessons or school
- The student must not have broken the terms of the Sixth Form Contract or be on CEC.
It is best practice to pay 'in kind' bursaries rather than cash, except in exceptional circumstances as advised by the Education Funding Agency.
Such items will be provided to individuals and in the case of books or equipment that are awarded as a Discretionary Bursary, they should be returned at the end of the course to enable them to be re-used by other students.
In the case of Guaranteed Bursaries the value of these items and how their cost is deducted from the £1200 will be made clear to students and those that support them.
How to Apply
Students wishing to apply for a Bursary must complete the Bursary Application Form and return it to the Sixth Form Office no later than 31 October 2022.
All applications will be considered and assessed by the Leadership Team. A parent/carer, where applicable, will be notified of the decision and an indication of the award.
You have the right to appeal and/or complain to the headteacher if you feel your case has not been given fair consideration. This must be in writing. The final decision rests with the Headteacher.
Please note: that the school can withdraw this support if we believe circumstances have changed.