|Term 1||Why was Europe at war 100 years ago?|
|Why was Europe at war 100 years ago?
- What were the causes of the First World War?
- What was life like on the Western Front?
- Lions led by Donkeys?
- Was the Somme a disaster?
- Why were some soldiers shot at dawn?
- Why are the war poets so famous?
- What was life like in Britain during the First World War?
|Assessment: GCSE-style mini exam on the causes of the First World War and the Western Front.||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 2||Why did 60 million people die? WW2, the Holocaust and London in the Blitz || |
|Why did 60 million people die? WW2, the Holocaust and London in the Blitz (Local Study).
- How did Adolf Hitler come to power?
- What were the key turning points of WW2?
- What was London like during the Blitz?
- How and why did the Nazis try to kill all the Jews in Europe?
- How should the Holocaust be remembered?
|Assessment: GCSE-style assessment on the rise of the Nazis and the Second World War.||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 3||Leaving home: Transportation, evacuation and Migration in the 19th and 20th centuries|| |
|Leaving home: Transportation, evacuation and Migration in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Why were British people sent to Australia?
- What were the Kinder transport?
- Why were thousands of children sent to the English countryside?
- Why was the SS Empire Windrush such an important ship?
- How has Britain been changed by migration?
|Assessment: GCSE-style assessment on the four “Leaving Home” topics. ||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 4||How has Medicine changed?Health through the ages || |
|How has Medicine changed?
Health through the ages (Depth Study, prehistory to present day).
- How did prehistoric man treat sickness and injury?
- What did Hippocrates and Galen believe about health and medicine?
- What was good about Roman Public Health?
- How bad was public health in the Middle Ages?
- Which individuals made progress in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries possible?
|Assessment: GCSE-Style assessment on the Prehistoric and Ancient History of Medicine.||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 5||How did the World split in half? The Cold War|| |
|What are Capitalism and Communism?
What was the Iron Curtain?
How close did the world come to nuclear war over Cuba?
How did Eastern Europe become free from Communism?
|Assessment: End of year exam||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 6||GCSE Anglo Saxons|
|Assessment: ||Key Words and Terms|