|Term 1||Who were the Tudors?|| |
|Who Were The Tudors?
- What was Britain like in 1509?
- What was the young Henry VIII like?
- Why did religion change so much under the Tudors?
- Was Mary really Bloody?
- Why did the Spanish Armada fail?
- What were Tudor leisure, education and society like?
|Assessment: Students complete a challenging GCSE-style mini-exam on the Tudors.||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 2||Why did the English make war against themselves? The Stuarts, Cromwell and the Civil War|| |
|Why did the English make war against themselves? The Stuarts, Cromwell and the Civil War
- Why did a Scot become King of England?
- How did Charles upset Parliament?
- Why did the Parliamentarians win the English Civil War?
- Was Cromwell a Hero or a Villain?
|Assessment: GCSE-style sources interpretation assessment on Charles I.||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 3||Who rules? The Restoration & The Glorious Revolution|| |
|Who rules? The Restoration and the Glorious Revolution.
- Who was the Merrie Monarch?
- How did the Stuarts respond to the Great Plague?
- Who caused the Great Fire of London?
- Was the Glorious Revolution really Glorious?
|Assessment: GCSE-style assessment on the Glorious Revolution and the Great Fire of London.||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 4||Why did two new Republics emerge? || |
|Why did two new Republics emerge? New Ideas: The Enlightenment, The French Revolution and the American War of Independence.
- What was the Enlightenment?
- Why did the Americans want independence?
- Why did the British fail in the war of Independence?
- What was the Ancien Régime?
- Which ideas did the people behind the French Revolution believe in?
- How successful was Napoleon?
- What was the American West like?
|Assessment: GCSE Style assessment on the American and French revolutions.||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 5||How did Great Britain begin to modernise? The Vote and the Industrial Revolution|| |
|How did Great Britain begin to modernise? The Vote and the Industrial Revolution.
- How successful were different types of protest: Gordon Riots, Peterloo and Chartism?
- How much did the Industrial Revolution change Britain?
- How did ordinary people respond to the Industrial Revolution?
- How did more and more people get the Vote?|
|Assessment: Students write a series of diary entries as a 19th Century English industrial worker, highlighting their knowledge of the period and empathy.||Key Words and Terms|
|Term 6||Why were thousands of Africans enslaved?
|Why were thousands of Africans enslaved?
Non-British Depth Study.
- What was The Middle Passage?
- What was a slave auction like?
- Was life on the plantations the same for all slaves?
- Were the owners of the Zong guilty?
- How was Slavery abolished?
|Assessment: End of year exam.||Key Words and Terms|